I Ching, Yijing or Zhou Yi
"Oracle of the moon": © 2000 LiSe
seals + table + hands
Humble, yield, mild, submissive, insinuating, resign (like -throne), calculate.
The character represents a stand with seals on it, and a pair of hands. The hands are a later addition.
In the MaWangDui YiJing it is Suan, counting-peg or the counting of oracle-sticks. The counting pegs were used for calculating the calendar. Further meanings: arithmetic, and the life-span granted by heaven. All meanings have to do with 'calculating' fate.Xun: influence
"God brings all things to completion in the sign of Xun (Lynn: sets all things in order in Sun). Completion means that all creatures become pure and perfect"
Like thunder is the voice of heaven, wind is the voice of earth. Thunder initiates and creates growth, cycles and time, wind insinuates and creates dao, inclination and karma. Wind conveys the seals, the 'image' or blueprint in a chicken egg which makes it grow into a chicken or a hawk's egg to grow into a hawk. Following the grooves of heredity and predestination and the magnetic field, the charge, and the vibrations of the earth and all matter.
"Thunder and wind arouse each other"
"Of all the forces that move things, there is none swifter than thunder. Of all the forces that bend things, there is none swifter than wind. Therefore: thunder and wind do not interfere with each other" Without the wake-up call of Thunder, there is no life which fills the seals, without the steering push of Wind the energy of Thunder finds no direction.
"Xun is penetrating"
The seal is the deepest core of every being and every object. Its seed. Wind pushes things towards their inborn destination, sometimes gently, other times with irresistible force.
"Xun acts in the cock ... manifests itself in the thighs"
The cock (rooster) announces the day, the eldest daughter is the messenger of Heaven. She brings Heaven's orders and laws to everything which exists. She inspires matter, all living creatures and all thoughts, vibrations, inclinations. It is no coincidence, that cock (in both meanings) and thighs both belong to wind.
"Xun brings about dispersion"
Everything grows according to its own unique form by following the patterns which lead to its essence.
"Xun is the guideline, work; ... it is advance and retreat, the undecided"
The Wind does not decide about the final form of creatures, it brings the blueprint. It is the messenger, it conveys possibilities, ideas, patterns.
Inner and outer trigram
Wind "delegates orders to accomplish affairs".
When Wind is INNER (lower) trigram it spreads out one's mandate/seal/pattern in the space of the outer trigram.
In 44 the powerful order of Heaven (The prince carries out his mandate, proclaiming it to the four regions)
In 46 the generous space of Earth (The noble one, with devoted character, accumulates small things to become tall and big)
In 32 the energy of Thunder (The noble one stands and does not change his bearings)
In 57 the influence of Wind (The noble one delegates orders to accomplish affairs).
In 48 the reshaping power of Water (The noble one encourages the toiling people to stand by each other)
In 50 the clarity of Fire (The noble one corrects the situation to solidify fate).
In 18 the individuality of Mountain (The noble one inspires the people to raise virtue)
In 28 the reflection of Lake (The noble one stands alone without fear, retreats from the world without melancholy)
When Wind is OUTER (upper) trigram it spreads out the qualities of the inner trigram.
In 9 the powerful order of Heaven (The noble one cultivates the pattern of virtue)
In 20 the generous space of Earth (The ancient kings inspected the whole country. They contemplated the people and set up education)
In 42 the energy of Thunder (When the noble one sees good, his rule is to improve, when there are transgressions, his rule is to reform)
In 57 the influence of Wind (The noble one delegates orders to accomplish affairs)
In 59 the reshaping power of Water (The ancient kings presented offerings to the Lord and established temples)
In 37 the clarity of Fire (The noble one has substance through words and perseverance through actions)
In 53 the individuality of Mountain (The noble one stays in dignity and virtue and improves the common people)
In 61 the reflection of Lake (The noble one discusses criminal cases in order to delay executions)
discussion of the trigrams, ch.3. (Transl. Wilhelm-Baynes)
3. Thunder and wind arouse each other.
4. Wind brings about dispersion.
5. God brings all things to completion in the sign of the Gentle (Lynn: sets all things in order in Sun). They come to completion in the sign of the Gentle. The Gentle stands in the southeast. Completion means that all creatures become pure and perfect.
6. Of all the forces that move things, there is none swifter than thunder. Of all the forces that bend things, there is none swifter than wind. Therefore: thunder and wind do not interfere with each other.
7. The Gentle is penetrating.
8. The Gentle acts in the cock
9. The Gentle manifests itself in the thighs.
10. In the trigram of the Gentle the male seeks for the first time the power of the female and receives a daughter. Therefore the Gentle is called the eldest daughter.
11. The Gentle is wood, wind, the eldest daughter, the guideline, work; it is the white, the long, the high; it is advance and retreat, the undecided, odor. Among men it means the gray-haired; it means those with broad foreheads; it means those with much white in their eyes; it means those close to gain, so that in the market they get threefold value. Finally, it is the sign of vehemence.